Did you know?
- More than 85% of our produce is organic (and more than 95% is local during the growing season).
- Our Prepared Foods Department makes a strong and continuous effort to avoid ingredients that contain GMOs:
- Products that clearly contain GMOs have been eliminated from the department’s ingredient lists.
- We use only organic or non-GMO project verified corn, soy and canola products (this applies to the tofu used on the hot bar, cooking oils, mayonnaise and other ingredients.)
- Our prepared foods are made with local and organic ingredients whenever possible; and the ingredients in each item are listed in detail on the product and on the daily menus posted at the hot bar.
- Our bakery uses high-quality ingredients including non-hydrogenated, all-vegetable shortening; non-bromated flour; organic and fair-trade fruits and berries; and vegetable-based dyes. For sweeteners, our bakery and deli use only cane sugar, agave, brown rice syrup and 100% pure maple syrup. We do not use beet sugar or corn syrup.
- Our meats and poultry are sourced from local, regional, and family-owned farms that raise their animals naturally and humanely, without the use of added hormones or antibiotics. Our meats are labeled in detail according to their attributes–for example, pasture-raised; minimal processing. The label indicates whether the animals were raised on vegetarian or non-GMO feed.
Wild Oats Market began as a buying club in a church basement in Williamstown, Mass., way back in 1975. It all started when a few like-minded folks looking for healthful alternatives to the traditional supermarket fare got together to order organic, eco-friendly products as a group from a wholesaler. The members of the buyer’s club began to envision a storefront operation that would be open to non-members as well as members; and that would be open during regular retail hours to make shopping more convenient.
Through the dedicated work of this group, the Williamstown whole foods buying club became “Wild Oats Market” in 1981 and opened its first retail store. In 2005, we moved to our current location at 320 Main Street in Williamstown. Today, we are a full-service grocery, with an in-store café, deli, fresh bakery, catering department, and a beer & wine department.
A Thank You Gift for You – a Free Giant Cookie from the Wild Oats Bakery
Show this post to any cashier to receive a free giant cookie from our bakery. Our cookie selection changes daily, but you will always find chocolate chip on the “menu.” Varieties include chewy ginger, chocolate crackle, raspberry chocolate chip, pistachio, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, and specialty cookies that our bakers make from time to time. You are sure to find a flavor you like; in fact, it may be hard to choose!
Thanks again for your interest in our co-op. Visit us again soon.