In FY 2015-2016, Wild Oats added 17 local suppliers and sold over $2 million (approximately 44% of sales) in local products.
Our commitment to local and organic food is intrinsic to our business. We are proud to provide the North Berkshire community and visitors to the area with food that is healthy and delicious. You will find the ingredients in our prepared foods listed on the item’s packaging. The ingredients in our hot dishes are listed on the menu in our store, every day.
Want to know more about Wild Oats Market?
- More than 85% of our produce is organic (and more than 95% is local during the growing season).
- Our Prepared Foods Department makes a strong and continuous effort to avoid ingredients that contain GMOs:
- Products that clearly contain GMOs have been eliminated from the department’s ingredient lists.
- We use only organic or non-GMO project verified corn, soy and canola products (this applies to the tofu used on the hot bar, cooking oils, mayonnaise and other ingredients.)
- Our prepared foods are made with local and organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Our bakery uses high-quality ingredients including non-hydrogenated, all-vegetable shortening; non-bromated flour; organic and fair-trade fruits and berries; and vegetable-based dyes. For sweeteners, our bakery and deli use only cane sugar, agave, brown rice syrup and 100% pure maple syrup. We do not use beet sugar or corn syrup.
- Our meats and poultry are sourced from local, regional, and family-owned farms that raise their animals naturally and humanely, without the use of added hormones or antibiotics. Our meats are labeled in detail according to their attributes–for example, pasture-raised; minimal processing. The label indicates whether the animals were raised on vegetarian or non-GMO feed.
Wild Oats Market began as a buying club in a church basement in Williamstown, Mass., way back in 1975. It all started when a few like-minded folks looking for healthful alternatives to the traditional supermarket fare got together to order organic, eco-friendly products as a group from a wholesaler. The members of the buyer’s club began to envision a storefront operation that would be open to non-members as well as members; and that would be open during regular retail hours to make shopping more convenient.
Through the dedicated work of this group, the Williamstown whole foods buying club became “Wild Oats Market” in 1981 and opened its first retail store. In 2005, we moved to our current location at 320 Main Street in Williamstown. Today, we are a full-service grocery, with an in-store café, deli, fresh bakery, catering department, and a beer & wine department.