Suspended Groceries is an initiative designed by Williams College students, who worked with Wild Oats Market to launch the program at the co-op in the Spring of 2014. The Suspended Groceries program allows shoppers to “suspend” one or more of the purchases they make at Wild Oats Market, for another shopper who may be in need of a little help. Through Suspended Groceries, the co-op makes fresh foods more accessible to everyone in the North Berkshire community.
Here is how you can suspend an item for another shopper:
- Go to any register at Wild Oats.
- Select one or more items from the Suspended Groceries coupon display and add it to your grocery order.
- You will be charged for the suspended item(s), and a coupon for each item will be issued.
- The coupons will be given to a local food assistance provider (such as a local food pantry), which will distribute them to individuals who can benefit from them.
- Go to Wild Oats Market with your coupon(s).
- Select the food that matches the item on your coupon. (If you need help finding the item, ask any staff person).
- Bring the item and the coupon to any cashier. Give the cashier the coupon, and take home the “suspended” item.
Participating in Suspended Groceries is easy, inexpensive, and directly benefits our community. Wild Oats Market, the first grocery store in the area to adopt Suspended Groceries, was delighted to work with Kinetic, a Williams College student group, to introduce this new concept to the community.
Look for the Suspended Groceries icon when you are in the store, to find the foods that are part of the Suspended Groceries initiative. To purchase or pick up a Suspended Grocery, go to any register.